If you are remodeling or building a master bathroom, you probably wonder what the difference is in price between some of the major brands of plumbing fixtures. It can be a challenge to get a side-by-side comparison that includes all the parts you need because some manufacturers include accessory pieces (like the handheld shower hose or shower arm) in kits, and others itemize each piece.
After 3 hours at the plumbing showroom - or a few too many late nights at the computer screen - you may not have the energy to really get to the answer to that question. So, to make it easier for you - and to satisfy my own curiosity - I have assembled a list of the same types of plumbing fixtures, modern in style, for three major brands: Moen, Hansgrohe, and Kohler.
A few important things to note:
- I have attempted to include all the rough-in's on the list, but please have your plumbing showroom and/or plumber double-check the list if you decide to use this as a launching pad for your own project.
- I have priced these all online, directly on the manufacturer's websites, on January 11, 2011. Prices will change.
- Prices shown are the retail prices. If your plumber buys the fixtures, he/she will get a trade discount. But, by the time the fixtures reach your invoice via your general contractor, the discount will be reduced by their mark-ups, which means that you will pay close to retail. You can split hairs if you'd like, but I think comparing retail-to-retail gives you the big picture.
- I have priced all the fixtures in polished chrome. As far as finishes go, this is the least expensive finish. It is also the easiest to clean, and it never goes out of fashion. Sinks, tubs, toilets, etc. are not included in this comparison, just the fixtures that supply water and their accessories, including:
HANDHELD SHOWER ON ADJUSTABLE BAR
FIXED SHOWER HEAD WITH SEPARATE CONTROL
shower arm trim
ROMAN TUB FAUCET WITH HAND SHOWER
TWO LAVATORY FAUCETS
- One look at the total price of this list should help you understand why bathroom remodeling is so expensive. Again, this doesn't include "everything," and yet the bottom line is already higher than what many home-improvement shows tease you into thinking is the total budget. For information about what IS a reasonable budget for a master bathroom remodel or addition, click here.
And, the grand totals are:
- Moen - $2,062.20
- Hansgrohe - $3,685
- Kohler - $4,312.45